Yosemite problem

So I am still decompressing the whirlwind experience that was Emerald City Comic Con. Thanks to all the people that kindly stepped by my table. Your words of support are awesome and well received.

I spent some time at the con getting some direct and solicited feedback from some of the pros in attendance. It was.. a sobering thing, specially hearing the feedback from the mouth of some guys who are my inspiration since I started doing any work in comics.

I still need to reflect on this humbling exercise. Things are definitely going to change with the comic. In some things I’m going back to basics, in others I’ll want to push the envelope.

Hopefully you’ll stick around to see what comes out the other end.

Thanks as always for your support.

Got something to say? Leave a comment!

19 Comments

1. [...] other news, I would like to share a new webcomic I stumbled upon a few days ago called Atomic Laundromat. It’s a really interesting website that is well worth reading! This entry was posted in [...]

2. Richard says:

As the Original Bond would say.. Also, I mustache you so many questions..

I don’t think I’ve really posted on here but I must echo what a lot of people are already saying.. Take other artist’s input with a grain of salt. You already have a fan base and many people here are posting out of fear that you will try and change to be someone else they personally are not a fan of. Your work is yours, we love it and that is the rewarding thing about being loved for your own creation and what comes from you. On the other hand it’s always important to push one’s self and that is one of the things I love about web comics, you never know what is going to change. Unlike the old syndicated days where Cathy looks the same and has been complaining about her weight for the last 30+ years. Do what makes you happy and challenges that make you excited, we continue to look forward to each panel you put out. ^^b

3. zibodiz says:

Long time stalker, first time commenter.
    It’s obviously already been said, but I want to chime in that this comic is perfect. I read dozens of webcomics, and yours is solidly in the top ten.
    Remember that art (storytelling included) is expression. If it’s not really coming from inside of you, just to try to ‘follow the rules’ or ‘fit in’, then it’s not really art. The most important factor I enjoy in a comic is authenticity. Keep doing what you do–it’s perfect the way it is.
    Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of people agree with me.

4. Spanish reader says:

I’m agree with all comments. Atomic Laundromat is perfect. Change it is useless. It’s very funny, the whole story are consistent, well written and we all love the characters. That’s not easy in any way. I read more or less 50 different webcomics. I only love your characters. For months ago, I wait your strips 3 times a week. I love David and Angela. I laught with Bob and the duck. I love speculate with Juno. (Well, i think she works in Atomic Laundromat because the duck is a supernatural force than can’t be foreshight, because he can navigate on the Einstein space-time and can change it, nor David or Bob scape from her power’s, but the Duck).

So, many of your reader’s agree in that’s critical pov:

1.- The storyline is very well written, fresh and absorbing. The readers expects the strip.
    2.- The reader can identify with the characters, and love them.
    3.- The art is excellent. Comments where the fans express how much they like your artwork, are very common.
    4.- Atomic Laundromat has evolved in the right direction. The development is natural, and full of surprises like real life. An abrupt change in direction can be badly received by your fans, who follow the current story.

There are tons of comments more!!!! This space are too small for they, and many other comments are similar.

But, you are the artist. Atomic Laundromat is your creation. We the fan’s, love your work, and hope that whatever you decide, keep giving us the best entertainment of the Net.

Finally, I want to say that You are the Stan Lee of webcomics (and Steve Ditko in one person). I’m a Marvel fan, but comic books are a different universe (I’m a spiderman fan). In webcomic, Atomic Laundromat rules.

I’m your really fan.
    Sincerly,
    Sergio.

• Anonymous says:

And Jack Kirby in one person, I wanted to say. But, by the way, Ditko can be included.

What a fool I’m!!

5. Animaniac says:

I just wanted to point out the camera angle in the first panel, that panel is beautiful

6. Anon says:

If I had _one_ “criticism” of your comic, don’t be afraid to use casual speaking conventions. ALL the time. By the way, lots of webcomics do this from time to time.

“Could not, would not, should not, could have, should have, etc.”? That’s for _formal_ writing! If people don’t talk that way in normal conversation, don’t use it, is what I say!

I’m a big fan of the comic, Armando. Just “absorb what is useful, discard what it is not” and all that.

7. Baughbe says:

Dude, love your stuff, mustachioed or not.

8. Byron says:

I agree, take any advice with a grain of salt (including this comment). I have enjoyed the comic for a long time and I’m not one to leave comments… unless I have something to say. Seems I have something to say now…

My first convention, I went up to the one webcomic artist I truly admired and got a snide remark from them. Ruined my perception of their work completely. Instead of receiving me as a fan/reader, I got rejected because my comic wasn’t up to their “standard”, nor was I a part of the clique there belonged too. It made me realize I do my comic for one reason… my readers. What our so-called peers think is meaningless unless they’re true readers.

Go with you gut. If you think the comic needs changes, then do them because you want to, not because someone said you should. You’re the Master and Commander here and we’re all along for the ride.

Love your stuff and I’ll do my best to contribute more here in the future.

9. Shawnte says:

I agree with the others. You have a really nice comic! The art is really nice and I don’t see why you would need to change that. One of my biggest pet peeves is having another so called “great artist” tell you how you should be drawing. I can see a few tips here and there but to expect someone to change their style completely just to suit your supposed needs is disgusting to me! That’s like telling someone to change their identity!

You have your own unique style, as do all of us! I take what a lot of people say about my own work with a grain of salt. If you are happy with your style, you stick with it! Period! Plus, we as fans love your style :3!

• zibodiz says:

This reminds me of my favorite example: Peanuts. Charles Schulz broke all the rules with fairly crude art and often little frame-to-frame image continuity, yet there are few comics with characters that are as beloved or which have as strong a following. Just do what you love and your fans will love you for it.

10. Sandy says:

Without tying to snoop, I’d really love to hear what your were told, and by whom… I think you have an excellent comic, and the art is amazing. Not sure what kind of advice you’d get that would make you want to change a bunch of things. On the other hand, if it’s such good advice that you’ll be changing things, I’d love to hear what it is!
    Again, not trying to pry, just curious.

11. bostlabs says:

mist42nz summed up my thoughts exactly.
    I’m sticking around to see where it all leads.

Lead on sir

12. mist42nz` says:

Personally this is one of the comics that I prefer.
    There is no huge plot-line that inches forwards over the years, while the readers wait (im)patiently for it to develop.
    The characters are loveable and personable, speaking in friendly ways in which we ourselves can relate to.
    The style is simple, fresh and good looking.
    The story arcs are short and fun, there is suspense and the way you set the pace allows readers to involve themselves through wild comments and pointless speculation, which really adds to a web comic.
    Likewise your updates are very frequent, especially for strips using colour, which keeps things fresh and fun for the readers.

I truly hope that you enjoy making the comic, for we really enjoy reading it. If anything, when you feel ready I think the stage (story) could get bigger – but at the end of the day, it’s still got to be a comic you enjoy making.

all in humble and inexpert opinion, of course.
    thank you.

• Flaagan says:

Yeah, what mist said!

Don’t feel you’ve got to force yourself to change things just cause that’s what other webcomic creators have done.

I gotta say, I dig a comic having this web-blog-like comment section, makes a fun comic a little more personal. :)

• fwtrump says:

Well there is one huge plot point, but interestingly enough, it hasn’t been vital to understanding the story, nor to enjoying the story.

• Spiny Norman says:

For what it’s worth, I’d still follow if you reverted back to the style of the original Captain Amish! You keep a tough schedule – please don’t burn yourself out trying to match the expectations of “experts” who are drawing different (not better or worse) strips.

• CorvusCorone68 says:

Dinsdale… he nailed my head to the floor! Still, I can’t blame him; after all, it was my fault, and if I were in his shoes I would have done the same.